Friday, September 18, 2015

Cover Songs (Some of Which are Better or Just as Good as the Original)

It's hard to cover a really amazing song and not be criticized for it. I mean, I don't know that personally, because I am not a song writer, but I can imagine it's hard. There are a few gems, however, out there that I think come close. Some of these aren't even close to the caliber of the original, but they have something unique about them that I think is worth noting.

1. Social Distortion's cover of The Rolling Stones, 'Under My Thumb'

I could honestly listen to this song over and over again.


2. Sonique's cover of Screaming Jay Hawkin's, 'Put a Spell on You'

Yes, I like electronica. P.L.U.R.


3. Guns n Roses's cover of Paul and Linda McCartney's, 'Live and Let Die'

I'm gonna say it. Don't kill me. I love and respect The Beatles, but GnR won this one.


4. The Zombies cover of the George Gershwin song, 'Summertime' (also covered by a zillion other musicians) and Sublimes 'kind of' cover, 'Doin Time'


Omg. I love The Zombies so freaking much. Rod Argent probably has the sexiest voice of all time.


Nothing quite catches the sound of summer like Sublime.


5. Yusuf Islam's (Cat Stevens) cover of Nina Simone's 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood'
Honestly, it's hard to pick a favorite between these two. I love them both and they both put REAL, PURE emotion in their singing.

6. Chris Cornell's cover of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean'


The first time I heard it, I was like, "No! Weird!" It grew on me.


7. Otis Redding's cover of The Rolling Stone's 'Satisfaction'


If you don't know already, anything by Otis Redding is gold. He covered many artists and vice versa. See #8

8. Aretha Franklin's cover of Otis Redding's 'Respect'


If I don't stop, I'm going to start listing every time any soul artist covered another soul artist. Love this. And this isn't even her best song. 

9. Van Halen's cover of The Kink's, 'You Really Got Me'
And anytime David Lee Roth gets smooth with the music a la Yacht Rock Episode #9

10. Nirvana's cover of David Bowie's 'The Man Who Sold the World'


Anything that came from Bowie is magical.


A few more:
Soft Cell's version of The Supreme's 'Where Did Our Love Go?'
MXPX version of Bryan Adam's 'Summer of 69'
GreenDay's version of Operation Ivy's 'Knowledge'
John Mellencamp/Meshell Ndegeocello's version of Van Morrison's 'Wild Night'
Rufus Wainwright's version of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'
The Lemonhead's version of Simon & Garfunkel's 'Mrs. Robinson'
Love Spit Love and TATU's versions of The Smith's, 'How Soon is Now'
Everything Me First and the Gimme Gimmes and really any punk band that wants to cover any song is pretty fine by me


Oh and this:
swooooon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Solid choices. Love social distortions under my thumb. 7 seconds cover of 99 red balloons is one of my faves.

Jessica said...

Thanks! There's a reason I put 'Under My Thumb' first. The rest aren't in any sort of order, though.

brian said...

Check out Coverville, they feature an artist or a theme every week

brian said...

October 29, 2009 very cool Bowie show

Jessica said...

Brian, that sounds awesome!

Jessica said...

Which Brian is this?

brian said...

Kats hubby

Jessica said...

Ah! Hello! I know so many Brians! Haha